Yoni steams or v-steams is an ancient and sacred practice of vaginal self-care that leaves the vaginal, pelvic and womb region feeling rejuvenated and vital. The womb, including all of the reproductive organs including the uterus and all organs and tissues housed in the pelvis, is the seat of female creativity, vitality, and intuition. The womb’s sensitivity also makes it the receptacle of sexual and emotional trauma, sadness and pain experienced by women throughout their lives. Ritual practices around the release of this trauma accumulated over a life or lifetimes are powerful means of tapping deeper into that creative feminine force that often remains partially expressed or remains locked inside of the pain and burden females tend to carry.
Yoni steams are practiced in cultures in Suriname in South America, Tanzania in East Africa, by Mayans in Central America (known there as “bajos”) and in Korean (American) culture where it is known as cha-yok. Different cultures practice yoni steams for varied reasons such as for increased toning and tightening of the vagina resulting in increased sexual stimulation , rejuvenation and cleansing and hygenic purposes. They are essentially saunas for the pelvis and yoni done with fresh or dried herbs that are relevant to women’s issues or that appeal to the individual. V -steams, yoni steams or ‘bajos’ as they are referred to in Central America are excellent ways to stimulate circulation which in turn increases blood flow to vital organs. The vagina is highly absorbent and readily takes up the volatile oils and active plant constituents found in the herbs facilitating greater healing.
Yoni steams are beneficial for
- Sexual dysfunction
- Dark red blood at the beginning of the period
- Fibroid and ovarian cysts
- Hemmorhoids and prolapse
- Irregular or absent periods
- Stored and stuck emotions
- Post-partum recovery
- Detox of the womb and body
- Reduced menstrual pain and discomfort, bloating
How to do a yoni steam
- Prepare an herbal blend with 1 -5 herbs, we have them here, choosing your herbal allies according to personal resonance or with specific gynecological concerns in mind.
- Place 1 cup of dried or 1 quart of fresh herbs (dried are preferred) in half to 1 gallon of warm water.
- You can simmer them for 20 minutes directly or prepare for the next day and allow the herbs to soak in the moonlight overnight, potentially with crystals, prayers and your good intentions placed within the waters.
- After the 20 minute simmering either the same day or the next, test the steam on the inner arm for temperature. When it is bearable to the arm, prepare to sit over the pot in a chair of some sort with an opening, in squat or kneeling over the pot on the ground. Try to get comfortable the best you can and cover and seal off the lower body with a blanket or 2 to trap the steam.
- Sit for 20 minutes over the pot thinking of the intention to release and rejuvenate, reading, in meditation or however you choose. (SET the space up so that a relaxed and healing mood is created)
- After the steam, rest in bed covered up in a DRAFT-free room for 30 minutes.
Steams are best performed before bedtime.
Return the herbs back to the Earth and Give thanks for HER medicine..
Avoid Essential oils, doing steams while on menses, too soon after birth (before 6 to 8 weeks) or when infection is present!
We have herbal blends including yarrow, motherwort, lavender, rose petals and calendula amongst other highly useful herbs for yoni steams for you HERE
Check out the Live Periscope and blab.im of our monthly event..
Come by our website for wombwell consultations and coaching!